How to Improve Your Web Content: The 14 Essentials
You’ve just 5-8 seconds to engage a visitor when they hit your website. In order for it to be effective at generating sales your key messages must absorbed quickly. So they need to be presented simply, clearly and succinctly.
Here are the essentials:
- Be authentic and honest.
- Explain what makes you different and special – your unique selling points and benefits.
- List each product and service you provide on separate pages.
- Explain jargon before using it.
- Remove any typos and keep sentences short and simple.
- Keep the number of words per page to typically 150 – with 300 as a maximum.
- Write conversationally e.g. “We’re …” rather than “XYZ Industries are…”
- Use bullet points extensively – they’re easy to scan.
- Use short paragraphs.
- Keep your messages positive.
- Ensure there’s a Call To Action (CTA) e.g. “Call us now on … ” at the bottom of every page.
- Use hype – it will be ignored.
- Use small fonts or fonts with a low contrast to the background. It’s illegal – but nobody seems to care much. But more to the point it will cost you sales – which hopefully you do care about.
- Waffle – make every single word count – and sell, sell, sell!
Update your website!
This is just an introduction – I see these issues so often that it’s driving me slightly nuts.
Contact me if you need help with any aspect of your internet marketing.